While most are aware of the outdoor air being filled with natural allergens and man made pollutants that can make breathing difficult or dangerous, some may forget the importance of air quality inside the home or office. Here’s a look at some of the most dangerous, deadly, and insidious air pollutants that may pose as a threat inside:
- Dust Mites
Dust mites can provide major respiratory irritation. Their droppings contain powerful digestive enzymes that, when inhaled, can lead to wheezing and other breathing problems. That enzyme is one of the reasons it’s crucial to limit dust in living and work spaces for people with asthma or allergies.
In today’s society, it is generally accepted that smoking tobacco is damaging to your health, but many still fail to appreciate the impact that even a small amount of smoke can have on air quality. Smoke is a powerful irritant that can set off a variety of allergy-like symptoms which are difficult to treat.
Indoor smoke is especially dangerous for children. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), living in a home with smokers is associated with higher rates of childhood asthma, ear infections, and even sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). A small amount of smoke might not seem threatening for adult lungs, but smoke is one of the most dangerous and preventable indoor air pollutants when it comes to raising children in a clean, non-toxic environment.
- Pet Dander
While it’s true that your home wouldn’t be the same without your pets, it’s also true that your air quality would be better without them. Maintaining high air quality in a home with pets can be challenging, especially if your pets are prone to shed. However, one of the biggest misconceptions is that sweeping up the hair will keep the problem under control.
Most people with pet-related allergies are allergic to the dander (skin flakes) left behind by pets, not their hair. This dander can be incredibly difficult to see and can even be swept up into the air by attempts to remove hair from your home. Installing an air purification system is the most practical way to minimize the allergy-inducing effects of your pets.
By nature, mold wants to spread, releasing spores out into the air where people can inhale them. Breathing in those spores can lead to fungal lung infections, allergic reactions, sinus symptoms, nosebleeds, headaches, and asthmatic reactions. According to recent studies, approximately 20% of the population can have severe acute immune reactions to mold, which can masquerade as a sudden sneezing or allergy attack.
- Carbon Monoxide
Carbon monoxide is a biproduct of burning fuel, and a fatally toxic form of air pollution. When fuel burns in an improperly sealed furnace, car in an attached garage, or wood stove, it can flood living spaces with carbon monoxide if there is not enough adequate ventilation. Carbon monoxide is also less dense than air, which means that as it accumulates, it will quickly rise in the room, where it can be breathed in, rather than linger at ground level.
Carbon monoxide is considered deadly, and not just for individuals with asthma, allergies, or immune issues. Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless and is almost impossible for people to recognize before it’s too late without the use of a carbon monoxide detectors. Installing carbon monoxide detectors in your home could be the difference between a life and death situation.
For more information on clean air systems to protect your home or office, contact Matrix Air today.